Born In Singapore: Birth Without Doctor



Hi everyone, I have given birth in KK Hospital with my Singapore born Singaporean husband in the delivery ward with me :)

In Singapore, most people do not get married.
There were a total of 28,212 marriages registered and a total of 7,578 marriages ended in a divorce or an annulment in 2017.
The general marriage rate for males is 45.7 in 2017, for females, the rate is 42.8 over the same period.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/more-marriages-took-place-in-2017-of-which-nearly-a-quarter-were-inter-ethnic

I went through the birth process without a single doctor not because I don't want to, but because no doctor was available at Singapore KK Women's and Children's Hospital during my labour.

24 hours before I gave birth, I was actually in the hospital saying I'm about to deliver soon.
Instead of giving me epidural and painkiller, I was sent back home after doing some ultrasound scans.
I didn't even have the chance to discuss my birth plan.

In Singapore, most people do not reproduce too.
Between 2014 and 2018, an average of 33,000 babies were born each year and the total fertility rate dipped from 1.16 in 2017 to 1.14 in 2018.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-singapores-fertility-rate-looking-up

During the delivery, there was no doctor available in KKH and only one nurse who believed in me.
I'm grateful that she demanded for a delivery ward to be given to me.

After I entered the ward, she told me to lie down on the bed.
Within an hour, my child was born.
I'm glad that my child was about half a kg heavier than what KKH told me the estimated weight would be.

This is how the Singapore birth process is like:
I didn't have the chance to go though the birth plan and I didn't have the chance to have an epidural or painkiller.

When I tried to ask for the laughing gas, it was too late and the nurse was afraid that I will become unconscious if I were to take the laughing gas.
So I went through the whole birth process awake, knowing how the pain is like.
Therefore, I am now trying to recover from it.

If you have also given birth in less than an hour without any epidural or any painkiller, please let me know how you've recovered from it, because I would like to recover soon in order to go to Hong Lim Park too.

I'm thankful that my child can latch and I've been breastfeeding exclusively since my child was born till now, without any formula or water.
In Singapore, most people do not breastfeed exclusively.

According to an article published in the Straits Times on 1 March 2019:
49 per cent fed their babies breast milk and formula milk
45 per cent fed their babies breast milk and water
6 per cent did not breastfeed
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/study-shows-mums-are-breastfeeding-longer

Coincidentally, Singapore is ranked the most expensive country in the world for six years in a row.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-hong-kong-and-paris-are-the-most-expensive-cities-to-live-in

The price of infant milk powder has skyrocketed over the last decade, increasing 120 per cent to $56.06 on average for a 900g tin.
The market for milk formula here grew 17 per cent to $203.4 million over the last five years, and is projected to increase further to $209.2 million by 2021.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/costly-infant-milk-powder

Because of this, there are cases like:

A 34-year-old man who stole $10,600 worth of milk powder from supermarkets islandwide over an eight-month period was jailed for four months.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jailed-man-who-stole-over-10k-worth-of-milk-powder

A 37-year-old mother of five was jailed for four months for stealing 80 tins of milk powder from supermarkets, the value of the stolen milk powder was about $5,676.
Source:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/jailed-for-stealing-80-tins-of-milk-powder

Then again, Singapore is the only country in the world where the government doesn't spend a single cent from a cash flow perspective on our public housing, public healthcare, and pensions for retirement.

Anyway, I'm thankful for the people who came down to the hospital to visit us!

See you on 23 June 2019, 5pm at Punggol MRT for the event #YearningForJustice (:
https://www.facebook.com/events/925966467477677

Popular posts from this blog

Different HDB flat types and the varying models.

The Exodus of Singaporean Lawyers and the label from "The Leader of The Protests" to "The Leader of The Unvaccinated" in Singapore

Alvin & Yuki wedding got cancelled 2months before it happens and Zoe Raymond locked her blog.

SINGAPORE PARLIAMENT Ridout Road Saga: A Conflict of Interest or An Abuse of Power?

PAP & LKY supporters FAN REN RAY & Bryannz FAN RUICHENG from Cuffz Holdings are cheaters who scammed money using "GLOBAL BUSINESS CLUB PTE. LTD."

Review of Diapers in Singapore (10 brands we’ve bought and tried) Pee-Ka-Poo, Drypers, Huggies, Amico, MamyPoko, Merries, Pampers, Offspring, Bambo Nature, Moony

#YearningForJustice : A mother's musings to her future child

Who to vote for in my first Singapore Presidential Election?

Singapore’s judiciary system | “KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT” shouted DPP Francis NG Yong Kiat. Judge kept silent. Judge did nothing.

Senior Director Senior State Counsel DPP Francis NG Yong Kiat VS Deputy Senior State Counsel DPP John LU Zhuoren